Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Starting Back To School .......Again

Cheyenne is probably the most eager little learner I have ever known. I started some schooling with her last year. Keep in mind she was just 3 last year. I bought some books from Wal-Mart ( I don't shop there since they joined the NGLCC, but that's a different blog altogether), and got her started writing her letters and learning the different sounds each makes. She went through that in no time at all and caught on very well. The Leap Frog toys and DVDs have helped out alot in the letter sounds, and now we have started K5. She loves it! This morning is our 6th day of school. We had started the day after Labor Day, thinking that all of the vacationing should be over. Needless to say we only got 4 days of school in and then got some company that we really enjoyed having!! My parents drove out and stayed with us for a week and a half. We had a BLAST. Thanks for coming to see us!!! After they left, we ended up having to help Johnny do some deliveries, so we couldn't start back that week. Now this week we're hitting it full force. She has started piano lessons also and REALLY likes her teacher. Alot of people have asked me why I don't just teach her, but I got assurance the other day that I made the right decision to have someone else do it, when I tried helping her with her practice. She didn't enjoy it at all and I had a hard time not being too expectant of her. It works out really well this way!! We both get a break.


I think Travis might be a different story, but he's only two, so we'll have to see. He doesn't seem to have much interest. Cheyenne was saying her ABCs before she was two and she just seemed farther ahead at his age. Travis knows his ABCs, he just isn't as eager to say them. He is definately ALL boy. He LOVES going anywhere with Johnny. One day after being with Johnny at work all day, he came in the door, strutting, and said, "Hi, Mom." As if, "Yeah, I turned 14 today and now you're just MOM and not Momma!" It was pretty cute. They sure keep us busy and very well entertained. Which brings me to last night's hilarity.

Travis had a handkerchief and was asking Cheyenne what it was. She said, "That's a hankercheef. Cause Hanker means Nose!" Johnny and I laughed and laughed. Hanker, Honker?!? what's the difference?! LOL You might have to know our little girl to see the humor in that, but we thought it was funny.

4 comments:

Rebecca said...

What curriculum are you using? I should really buy some K-3 stuff for Savannah not to formally start schooling, but just to give her something extra on days when she is bored and driving me bonkers. LOL!

I loved the hanker story!!! It made me chuckle. She sounds a lot like Savannah from what I've read.

Keep posting....I'm enjoying reading!

Amy Martin said...

Rebecca,
I am using the A Beka. So far we really like it. The books I got from Wal-Mart were a good place to start. And cheaper than A Beka for sure! LOL Every morning she would get up and say, "are we doing school today momma?!" She's so much fun to teach.

We got a BIG KICK out of the hanker story. When I told Sherri, she said, "You just HAVE to blog that". So, I did.

Thanks for reading.

Sherri said...

I like her very pink desk! Miss you guys.

Amy Martin said...

Thanks! We got the desk from Johnny's mom and being a typical girl, she just HAD to have it pink, so we spray painted it!! LOL